The talented team at Rotoscope Studios is set to revolutionize the world of Voxel RPGs, challenging a giant like Star Citizen.
Rotoscope Studios: The independent studio behind beta decay
Rotoscope Studios is a promising and ambitious independent game development studio, specializing in creating games with Pixel/Voxel aesthetics in both 2D and 3D. Currently, the team is hard at work on an intriguing new RPG that has the potential to breathe new life into the genre. Alongside this project, the team is also developing “Sif And The Labyrinth“, a lo-fi pixel art adventure based on Norse mythology, soon to be available in early access on Steam.
However, today, our focus shifts to another project: beta decay, a captivating and ambitious dystopian voxel-based RPG with a striking low-poly aesthetic. It presents a challenging and complex endeavor for Rotoscope Studios, but the team is confident in overcoming it with the necessary time and support.
What is a voxel-based RPG?
beta decay employs an unconventional system to shape its world: the Voxel system. In 3D modeling and traditional game engines like Unreal Engine, developers typically use numerous “triangles” to create the illusion of three-dimensional space. However, this approach often leads to structures and objects that are mere illusions rather than authentic representations. For example, when exploring a building in “no clip” mode, one might find themselves inside an “empty box,” giving rise to the classic issue of polygon penetration.
Voxel-based games distinguish themselves by employing 3D pixels, allowing for improved interaction with elements like terrain and physical objects. This technique has been successfully employed in titles like Tear Down and 7 Days to Die, as well as many other productions within the survival genre.
In beta decay, this technology is harnessed to create an entire stellar system, featuring numerous planets and the iconic Neon city. The trailer showcases the advantages of this technology in both combat and exploration.
The gameplay of beta decay
beta decay is an FPS/TPS voxel-based RPG with roguelike elements. The game boasts a complex RPG system that provides players with complete freedom, from character creation to “permadeath” mode. Unlike other productions, beta decay doesn’t follow a predetermined main story but allows players to forge their own, becoming mercenaries, working for various factions, and even controlling them as time progresses.
The game will provide players with the opportunity to explore a variety of planets and assemble spacecraft through a complex system full of options and alternatives. The building system will play a central role in the gameplay, enabling players to erect structures and houses, thus shaping the gaming experience according to their preferences.
The core of the game resides in its combat system, showcasing a diverse array of firearms, including various types of assault rifles. Shooting mechanics, the impact on enemy targets, and the precision of aiming are just a few of the details that underscore the development team’s meticulous attention to detail.
Exploration plays a pivotal role in beta decay, aiming to achieve new heights. Players will have the opportunity to fully engage in the experience through both first-person and third-person perspectives. We anticipate that developers will handle both perspectives with meticulous care and precision. Additionally, players can traverse the world of beta decay on foot, use various ground vehicles (like the motorcycles featured in the trailer), or craft personalized spacecraft.
A closer look at the upcoming Kickstarter campaign
The Kickstarter campaign hasn’t started yet, but on the official website, you can already preview the campaign and the first three goals set by the developers:
Tier 1 – “Early Access available” $100,000:
With this level, players will have access to the main features of the game, including:
- Low Poly Grapichs: The game embraces a retro graphic style reminiscent of classics from the ’90s and the early 2000s. Iconic titles such as Aliens vs Predator 2, Kingpin, Blood 2, Soldier Of Fortune, and the unfortunately canceled Duke Nukem Forever left an indelible mark on that era. This strategic choice in aesthetics aims to carve out a distinct identity for the game within the contemporary RPG scene, promising an immersive and intense combat experience.
- Dystopian Voxel City: The game stands out with the inclusion of a dystopian city, the vibrant core of the game where corporations fulfill their roles, and the protagonist embarks on their adventure. The choice of a dystopian environment in voxel art adds depth to the gameplay, creating a captivating and challenging context. The city’s design is clearly inspired by Deus Ex and Blade Runner. Furthermore, some interiors, like the lavish main hall shown in the trailer, evoke the unforgettable combat sequences from The Matrix.
- Starship construction: A complex and advanced building system will empower players to craft ships for exploration and combat. This sophisticated system promises a level of detail that could rival, if not surpass, what is found in games like Starfield.
- Space Flight: In Beta Decay, an intriguing space exploration system has been introduced, allowing players to explore a vast array of planets.
- FPS/TPS: Players will be free to choose between a first-person or third-person perspective.
- Player Customization: Like any good RPG, Beta Decay will offer players extensive character customization, with various options available, including body type, aesthetic appearance, armor, clothing, and implants.
- Player Housing: Building has never been so rewarding. Build and breathe life into your personal haven, or, if you prefer, purchase an apartment in the city.
- Life and Survival Systems: beta decay will also feature engaging survival mechanics, adding a touch of challenge and immersion to your experience.
- Voxel Planets, Mining, and Spelunking: Immerse yourself in the diverse worlds of beta decay, filled with unique resources and creatures waiting to be discovered.
Tier 2 – “Ambitious” $350,000:
- Small multiplayer servers
- Vehicles and hovercraft
- Economy and stock market
- AI crew and companions
- Territory control
- Electricity and atmospherics
- Terminals and network
- Diseases and sickness
- Contract system
- Clones and Permadeath
Tier 3 – “The Dream” 500.000$:
- Online play in a single persistent universe: Rotoscope Studios could aspire to reach, or even surpass, Star Citizen if it achieves its ambitious final goal. The multiplayer experience might offer the same characteristic freedom found in classic MMOs, featuring unexpected events and the formation of organized groups such as corporations and banks, as seen in titles like EVE and WOW. The prospect of recreating historical events, such as epic corporate wars in EVE Online or pandemics in World of Warcraft, could outline an intriguing future for beta decay.
When will beta decay be available?
While the trailer highlights the advanced stage of beta decay’s development, it’s important to note that the game is still in progress, and the path to its completion is still song and laden with challenges.
Currently, the release date for the early access version has not been announced. However, if you’d like to support Rotoscope Studios, you can do so by subscribing to their Patreon channel or bookmarking the Kickstarter campaign to receive a notification upon launch. Below, you’ll find all the relevant links:
Rotoscope Studios Patreon Channel: https://www.patreon.com/betadecay
beta decay Kickstarter Campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/712674581/1929926636?ref=blf1rg&token=994ef674
Best of luck, Rotoscope Studios.